Thursday, February 21, 2013

Put into words

This is borrowed from Wild Yogi on Facebook.

I have been feeling like I let someone down, that I haven't been the friend I could have been, but I also know that its been a losing situation with her.  I haven't been able to put it into words, but Wild Yogi found a post on someone's wall, and well, they said it just right.

 We've all had a friend (or ourselves been that friend!) who would call up to moan about the same thing over and over. You give them advice. You give them hugs and love, a cup of tea, and you listen and listen. Nothing ever changes. They keep seeing that same person, or make that same mistake. You go out and rescue them from another drunken fight. And you allow them to carry on by taking that call, or making that cup of tea and listening. 

What if you say "I'm here to help you when you're ready to make a change but I will not be a part of this drama anymore"?  Make sure that, if your friend is willing to change the situation (quit the drinks, split with the partner, etc.), you are there to support and help them. However, don't constantly aid them in their path to self destruction. In this way, we can stop ourselves being pulled into their storm and begin, hopefully, to draw them into our peace. At the same time, you get to keep your energy positive! Be well, everyone, be wildly and compassionately you, and be at peace always.

This.  Simply put, THIS.

No comments: