Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Sweet Roasted Peppers in Oil

I saw a neat post on preserving peppers in oil here , and thought hey why don't I do that to my extra peppers instead of freezing them this year?


I only had sweet peppers not hot ones, and I didn't have any smoked paprika only sweet, but I did it my way anyway, so this would be a milder version of the original recipe.  (Adapted from Diana Bauman, A Little Spain in Iowa, check out her beautiful blog!)

5-7 peppers, enough to fill a  pint jar
1 cup apple cider vinegar or white
3/4 cup olive oil
2 tsp paprika
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
salt

Roast your peppers until soft and charred on the outside.  Place inside a bowl and cover tightly about 30 minutes to steam.

Pour oil into small pan with garlic slices and paprika, warm slowly, then strain.

Peel off the outer charred skin of your peppers and clean out the veins and seeds and tops, don't rinse with water it will wash off the flavor.  Slice into strips.

Dip strips in vinegar then place in a bowl, sprinkle with salt and toss with your hands.

Pour about 1/4 cup of vinegar  into bottom of pint jar, start stuffing peppers into the jar.

Cover with strained oil, using a knife, loosen any bubbles, then add more oil if needed.

Store in refrigerator, should keep one year.

No comments: