Thursday, April 5, 2012

Pickled Eggs



I love easy recipes, I really love easy made from scratch recipes!  I follow Serious Eats on my blog reader, and sometimes get great recipes and sometimes just great information.  The other day, Marisa McClellan of Food in Jars, shared a great pickled eggs recipe.  Growing up in Oklahoma, pickled eggs were a regular part of life.  Peanuts in your Dr. Pepper, a pickled egg for a quick snack, it was an everyday thing. 
This recipe is so easy, and if you raise your own eggs and pickle your own beets, then this is a fabulous made from scratch recipe to make.
How would you use these eggs?  I think they would be fabulous in a green salad, and so pretty!!  Or perhaps as an addition to a spring relish tray.

Ingredients
8 hardboiled eggs, peeled (I used 9)
1 cup canned pickled red beets, with their liquid (I used the whole jar - 16 oz)
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cinnamon stick (I only had one left, so I added the cinnamon stick crumbs too)
4 cloves

Place peeled eggs in a quart sized mason jar (or any other heatproof container of similar size)

In a medium saucepan, combine beets, vinegar, water and brown sugar.  Heat until just comes to a boil. (I also threw in the cinnamon stick and cloves)

Place cinnamon stick and cloves into jar (if you haven't already put them in with the beets above)  Carefully pour the pickling liquid and beet slices into the jar with the eggs.   Tap the jar to loosen any air bubbles.  Place a lid on your jar, and let cool to room temperature.  Let eggs rest in the refrigerator for at least 48 hours before eating.

8 comments:

Penniless Parenting said...

Those look great! Do they become a beautiful purple?

Carole said...

Hi there, this is a really nice post involving eggs. It would be great if you linked to it in my brand new Food on Friday series. This week it is about all things egg. Food on Friday It would make my day if you put a link into it via the Mr Linky widget.

Merry said...

Penny, they DO turn a lovely pinky purple, all the way to the yolk!

Carole said...

You are such a star for putting up the link. Thank you very much. Hopefully soon we will have a nice collection of all things eggy!

The 21st Century Housewife© said...

The lovely purple colour of your pickled eggs is wonderful. I like the addition of the cinnamon too!

Carol............. said...

I absolutely LOVE pickled eggs! Your recipe sound not only good but looks good too!
(Raising chickens I DO have lots of eggs for this!)

Carole said...

Last week you very kindly linked an eggy post to my Food on Friday series. This week it is all about asparagus. Would love to see another contribution from you. Food on Friday

Carole said...

Hi Merry. I was looking at this nice egg dish you linked in to Food on Friday and realised that I hadn't signed up to follow your blog. I am following it now and hope you will follow Carole's Chatter back. Cheers.