Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Meyer Lemon Curd

My good friend and partner in crime, Amy, gifted me a small bag of Meyer lemons!  Now I know you all have heard about this sweet little lemon from California.  A cross between a mandarin orange and lemon, its deep yellow and more sweet than sour, truly it is!  It would make wondrous lemonade, but I chose to use if for some lemon curd.  Good choice if I must say so myself!  So I did a quick search and found this recipe, adapted just a bit, but well, hers is adapted from Alton Brown, so this really is a good recipe!

This recipe is very simple, and I mean simple and fast!!  It doesn't make alot, you might get 16 ounces if you scrape your pan really good, use extra large egg yolks, hold your tongue right and have a full moon!



You will need:

6 large egg yolks
3/4 c Meyer lemon juice (if you don't have enough, you could balance out with regular lemon, shhhh!  I won't tell!)
1 tbsp finely grated Meyer lemon zest  (less if you like it really smooth)
1 c sugar
1 stick of butter, cut into small cubes

Combine the egg yolks, lemon juice, zest and sugar in a saucepan, and whisk together until smooth.  Heat slowly on medium until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon (8 minutes or so).  Remove from heat and whisk in the butter, one chunk at a time, waiting until each chunk is absorbed before adding each piece.

Pour the finished curd into clean containers, and cover with a layer of plastic wrap that will lay directly on the surface of the curd.  Serve on muffins, or scones or spread on a piece of toast like I did!  This should keep at least a week in the refrigerator.



I don't feel confident advising you to hot water process this recipe as you would a jam or jelly, as it does contain alot of butter.  But, I don't see this lasting long enough to be put away in a cupboard!  If you can keep it long enough to share, and don't eat it a spoonful at a time whenever you pass the fridge, then I will do a happy dance for you!





No comments: