Tuesday, January 17, 2012

White Texas Sheet Cake



While cruising along Pinterest, I came across a post of a recipe for Texas sheet cake Grammy's White Texas Sheet Cake .  This type of cake is pretty popular over most of the south, and I grew up on my Aunt Bessie's chocolate Texas sheet cake, so to find a white cake recipe was interesting.  My husband prefers white cake over chocolate (crazy, I know!) and the great appeal of Texas sheet cake is that its fast and easy and you don't have to wait for it to cool before frosting.  Its tough to capture the smell and taste of this cake in a picture, so I guess that means you must make it!!

In true Merry style, I did fiddle with this recipe to use the ingredients I had on hand, in general, its a pretty forgiving recipe, and I also cut it in half, as no one in my household needs to eat an 11 x 17 sheet pan full of frosted cake!

To make the original cake, go to the originator's website:  Friedalovesbread.com  take a peek around her website while you are at it, lots of great recipes there.

A White Sheet Cake - Merry Style

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup warm water
1 cup white sugar
1 1/2 cups white flour
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp soda
1 egg
1/2 contents of vanilla bean (scrape out the bean, use the innards!)
1/4 cup evaporated milk

Frosting
1/2 cup butter
3 tbsp evaporated milk
3 cups powdered sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 contents of vanilla bean (use the other half of the bean used for the cake)


Preheat oven to 375, butter and flour an 11 x 7 inch sheet pan.

Melt butter and mix in warm water in large bowl.  Whisk in sugar, flour, salt, and soda, whisk well, then whisk in egg and vanilla.  When all ingredients are mixed well, pour into prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes.  Remove from oven.  Make frosting, and pour over warm cake.

Frosting
Heat butter and milk together until hot, pour into bowl with powdered sugar, salt and vanilla, mix until smooth, pour over warm cake.

Basically, this is a melt, mix and pour kind of cake, don't get technical with it, this cake has been made for generations and generations, and its usually turned out very well.  Use your stove to melt the butter, or melt it in the microwave in your mixing bowl, it would be really tough to screw this up, so go for it!!!





6 comments:

Kristina said...

We love chocolate Texas sheet cake. This looks good too.

The 21st Century Housewife© said...

I've heard of Texas Sheet Cake, but never made one before. My son prefers white cake to chocolate cake too, so I'm looking forward to giving this a try! Thank you for sharing it with the Hearth and Soul hop.

Merry said...

Kristina, give this a try, its really very nice, and when I made this again this weekend, I found I was able to cut the butter amount in half, using just half a stick for the cake and half a stick for the frosting, and I used evap milk for all the liquid in the cake since I had to open a big ol' can anyway. If you make this, let me know how you liked it :)

Merry said...

April, my husband loves this cake, and as I posted above, you can cut the butter amount in half and it still tastes great. Also, if you don't have vanilla bean, just use vanilla extract, or any flavor really, this cake is a blank palette just waiting for your creative touch!

Christy said...

I love chocolate texas sheet cake but sometimes vanilla sounds better, I will be trying this soon! I love that it is so forgiving and versatile.

Alea Milham said...

My youngest son loves vanilla cake - he doesn't like chocolate at all. This would make a lovely birthday cake. Thanks for sharing it with the Hearth and Soul Hop.