Monday, December 12, 2011

Shrinky Dink Pins

Remember Shrinky Dinks?  Remember how bad you wanted some but your parents were not going to waste money on something like that?  Well, you are a grown up now, go to Michael's and get a pack, cause this is fun stuff!

I needed bee pins for some presents I made.  I looked for bee buttons and beads, but nothing seemed to be quite right.  Either the looks was off, or too big or small, nothing seemed hand made or quirky enough to go with my beehive tape measures. 

I had tried to make some shrinky dink pins before, but my ink was too thick and it took forever to dry, so it had gotten abandoned.  I decided to resurrect that project and apply some thought.  I used a different ink pad, but of course, didn't have the right bee stamp.  I love Ebay, I find most of my hard to find items on Ebay, and this stamp was just right.

So to begin, get your sheet of shrinky dink plastic, I chose to use the frosted, as opposed to clear, and black ink.  Stamp carefully, my ink was still a bit thick, so be careful you don't smudge.

I let it dry a bit, then cut out my bee, and didn't worry about cutting perfectly on the lines, as it shrinks ALOT.  I hammered in my pins, making sure that the pin head was against the shiny side of the plastic.




Heat your oven or toaster oven to 325 degrees.  Place your pins on a piece of brown paper bag, I used a piece of lunch bag, and place in the oven.  It only takes about 1 minute and some change for these to be finished, so keep an eye on them.  I love using the toaster oven, way easier that way.  When shrunken, and flattened out, remove, let cool a bit, then admire the heck out of these little cuties!



You can use an alcohol based ink pad,  and alcohol markers to color these in before baking.  Even though the pigment pads are thicker and take longer to dry, if you use a light hand when inking your stamp, I do like the color intensity better.  But experiement and see what you like better.

No comments: