Monday, August 15, 2011

Jam in Vintage Canning Jars



I scored some great vintage jelly jars on Ebay, and took for granted that I would be able to find lids to fit.  I had read online where the large mouth lids fit just right, so I thought I would take a chance.  Of course, I had the jars where the large mouth lids DID NOT fit.  Then I thought some other kind of lids would fit, no dice.  How could I use these?  Where would I find some lids?  So I did a little research about these jars, and what lids were originally used.  These are vintage Kerr jelly jars with the tin lids.  Originally used with paraffin, then topped with the tin lids.  Well, well, well, where would I find tin lids?  And isn't paraffin sealing greatly frowned upon in the canning community?  Holy cow!  I have 16 jars!  I can alot, and just couldn't stand to have these adorable jars not perform their original purpose.

So, I decided that I would make refrigerator jam, no need to water bath, but again how to lid these things?  I gave in and decided to use paraffin.  Vintage jars, vintage sealing technique, and we will just let it go at that.  These jams will be stored in the refrigerator and eaten fairly quickly, so I won't be breaking any canning laws.

I used my raspberry-rhubarb jello recipe for these.  I received very good reviews from friends so I figured they would not mind having some again.  This recipe is so very easy, its almost idiot proof.  If you are new to canning, and don't want to invest alot of money and time, this is the perfect recipe to try, especially if you have some rhubarb hanging around in the freezer.  You don't have to use paraffin to seal them if you don't choose, just use lids and rings, since these are going in the fridge to keep, it really doesn't matter how you top them.

Raspberry Rhubarb Refrigerator Jam

5 c chopped rhubarb
1 - 1 1/2 c raspberries
3 c sugar
1 large box raspberry jello
2 blocks paraffin (Gulf Wax)


Mix together rhubarb and sugar and let sit overnight out on the counter.

Next day, before cooking jam, place a pyrex measuring cup in a pan of water, just so the bottom touches the surface of the water, put two blocks of paraffin in the cup, and bring water to boiling.  These should be melted by the time your jam is ready to put into the jars.


Cook rhubarb and sugar and bring to boil, add raspberries and let boil 12 minutes stirring constantly.  Take off heat and pour into clean hot jars.



When paraffin has melted, pour on top of jam in jars, pour slowly, the wax is hot!  Put about an 1/8 of an inch layer on top jam, ensuring it reaches the edges.  Let sit until it has cooled and turns white.  Then pour another very thin layer on top again, making sure it reaches all the way to the edge.  Let cool until white, and store in refrigerator.


To use, just push on one side of the wax disc, and it should pop up. 

2 comments:

Heirlooms by Ashton House said...

What a perfect find for a jelly-making expert like yourself. So nice of you to share this delicious recipe with your readers. I can personally attest that it's out of this world!

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

My mom collected antiques, and she had several of these; they are now mine. She would make freezer jam and pop on the tin lids. Tasted pretty good to us in the winter!