Saturday, July 2, 2011

Cutie Pies



How cute are these little pies in mason jars?  I have seen these little pies everywhere and I had to try it.  I love the little lattice tops, so cute!!  These are blueberry pies, I made them to give to a friend.  I will freeze them so she can enjoy them whenever she has the inclination.   You can bake them straight from the freezer or thaw overnight in the fridge.   What a wonderful to have pie without committing to the whole thing at once!  I made these in the 1/2 pint wide mouth jars, but I had a little filling leftover and made a 1/2 c regular mouth jar pie too, its really little and cute!!  But what a great way to portion control, no cheating, no going back for one more sliver, no cutting a huge slice and telling yourself its a normal portion size!!
There is nothing special about these, use your usual crust recipe, you don't even have to roll out the inside of the jar part of the dough, it works better if you just press chunks of it all over the sides and bottom.  Roll out the top and make a lattice, or using the jar ring as your guide, cut out a solid top, and use a mini cookie cutter to make a vent hole.  The first lattice I made, I wove it right on the jar.  The second lattice I wove on the flat lid, then slipped it onto the jar, much much easier that way.  Use your favorite fruit filling recipe, and you could also do the streusal crumb topping if you would like, these truly can be as personal as you want!   How sweet would these be for a picnic or brunch, you could even make them into quiches!  Now that would be the perfect brunch picnic!

3 comments:

Carol said...

Those are so cute and make such a great gift too!

Bren said...

you bake these in the glass jar? And the glass does not break???

Merry said...

No Bren, the glass doesn't break. I baked a frozen test pie in my toaster oven, I did put it in a cold toaster oven, just in case. Since its radient heat and not direct heat, and it is a mason jar, which is made to withstand higher temps, the glass should be fine. But, if you are worried about breakage, thaw the pie in the fridge overnight before baking :)