Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Swiss Chard Gouda Quiche

This post is linked to



I love making a dish with whatever I have on hand. If it calls for spinach but all I have is swiss chard, guess what I use? Same with cheese, gouda instead of cheddar or swiss? Why not? Go for it!!

Swiss Chard Gouda Quiche

Pastry for a single-crust 9-10 inch deep dish pie
1 bunch onion, chopped
1 bunch swiss chard, stems removed and chopped
1 1/2 cup shredded Gouda cheese
8 bacon strips, diced
5 eggs
2 cups half-and-half cream, or 1 can condensed milk (I've even been successful using Land O'Lakes Fat Free half and half)
1/2 teaspoon salt
pinch red pepper flakes

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Saute bacon in pan until crisp, remove and drain. Add onions, red pepper flakes and chard to skillet and saute until cooked.
Whisk together eggs, cream or milk and seasonings. Sprinkle cheese and bacon in pie plate and add egg/milk mixture.
Bake for 45 - 55 minutes, until center is set. If sides begin to brown to much, cover crusts with ring of foil. Let rest a few minutes before cutting.

3 comments:

Comfy Cook said...

This looks like quite a quiche. I have never made one with chard. Thanks for linking this to Let's Do Brunch. I am glad I have discovered your blog.

Chaya http://sweetsav.blogspot.com

The 21st Century Housewife© said...

Thank you for sharing this lovely recipe with Let's Do Brunch, Merry. Your quiche looks wonderful. And I agree, it's a great idea to use what you have on hand.I like the idea you can use condensed milk as well. Hope to see you at Let's Do Brunch again tomorrow.

Merry said...

thanks both of you!