Monday, June 6, 2011

Homemade Pickled Ginger


This post is also linked to the Feed Me Tweet Me Follow Me blog hop!!


I love sushi, traditional, fusion, american style, whatever. I will take my sushi and sushi rolls whenever I can get them. Many times, I just make my own at home. I don't make raw fish sushi, but I do like the spicy crab rolls. But, sushi rolls are another post, this post is about the pickled ginger. One problem I run up against, in store bought ginger, is the ingredient MSG, or even aspartame. Of course, pickling my own is the answer.

I found this recipe on Allrecipes.com, I did tweak it a little, but you can find the original recipe here.

You will need a large piece of ginger root, about 1/2 lb piece, peel it with a spoon, just scrape the papery skin off the root.
Using a mandoline type peeler, or whatever you have, slice the ginger into paper thin slices, as thin as you can.
Put the ginger and scant 2 teaspoons of sea salt in a non-reactive bowl, and let stand for 30 minutes or so.
In a medium pan, put 1 cup rice vinegar and a scant 1/2 cup sugar, and heat until boiling and the sugar is dissolved. Pour boiling liquid over ginger and salt. Let stand until cool enough to handle, then put all into a clean jar. Let cool completely, then refrigerate for at least a week before eating.
Mine didn't turn pink, I've read that is because I didnt use a high quality rice vinegar, maybe. I also know they sometimes add red food coloring, so there.
I did have some this week when I made my spicy crab rolls, and it was delicious! So flavorful! I noticed I only needed a small portion to cleanse and enliven my palate while enjoying my sushi.

Where I live, ginger root isn't very expensive, and rice vinegar is a nice vinegar to have on hand, its light and mild, really good for salads.

No comments: