Sunday, June 26, 2011

Fairy Cookies

I wish I had come across this recipe last week before my girlfriends and I had our tea, these would have been perfect! If you are looking for a slightly sweet, delicate cookie, a very girlie girl cookie, then you must try these fairy cookies.

I had never heard of them before, but after doing a search online, discovered there are many iterations, and this is but one of them. I am using the Lemon Fairy Cookie recipe from Kristin's Domestic Diva School, with my own variation on the buttercream frosting. I thought raspberry would be a nice flavor to pair up with these, but I didn't have any raspberry flavoring, so I used the next best thing, raspberry-rhubarb jam that I made that was in the fridge. I made sure I blended it very well so any junks of berry and rhubarb were indistinguishable and it was smooth enough to flow through a 22 tip. I also used a homemade extract of lavender and vanilla, with rosewater, so there is a very subtle floral undertone, but plain vanilla would be just fine, or none at all, let your taste and jam variation be your guide. Also, you don't have to pipe these or use a cookie gun, you can just roll them into a ball and dent the middle before baking, but I thought using a large star tip made them girlier.

Merry Fairy Cookies

1 c butter, softened
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp lemon extract
3/4 c cornstarch
1 c flour

Cream the butter and powdered sugar together until fluffy, blend in the zest and lemon extract. With mixer on low, add the the cornstarch and then the flour, mixing until well blended.


Put into piping bag, or cookie press, and pipe onto parchment covered baking sheet. Bake 9-11 minutes in preheated 375 oven. Cookies should barely be golden around edges. Let cool completely on sheet before removing, these cookies are delicate! When completely cooled, move to serving plate, and pipe with frosting.

Raspberry Buttercream

1/4 c softened butter
1 1/2 c powdered sugar
1 tsp lavender-vanilla-rosewater extract (or vanilla)
1-2 tbsp jam

Cream butter and sugar, add extract, then jam. Blend on high until fluffy and well blended. Pipe onto cooled cookies with a #22 tip.



Come over and visit the Hearth and Soul Blog Hop!

4 comments:

Tegan said...

These look delicious! :) And perfect for a tea!

Merry said...

Thank you! They really do turn out so delicate and they melt in your mouth!

Sunshine And Smile said...

This is looking so delicious .. love to grab some. Thanks for sharing it with Hearth and Soul Hop :)
www.sunshineandsmile.com

a moderate life said...

Hi Merry! these remind me a bit of lovely light french Madelines though they are not frosted but they are a light cakey cookie! the addition of the lovely raspberry buttercream make them perfect for a tea time treat! Thanks so much for sharing them with us on the hearth and soul hop! All the best! Alex