Friday, May 6, 2011

Such a Cream Puff!

My husband loves cream puffs, I think he loves the filling most!
I've never made these before, and I loved them, not difficult at all, so give em a go!

1 c water
6 tbsp butter, diced
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 c flour
4 med eggs
Place salt, sugar, water and butter in saucepan over heat medium heat, and heat to boiling, take off heat.
All at once add flour and mix until smooth and forms a ball that pulls away from sides of pan.
Add eggs, ONE at a time. Beat until egg is absorbed, keep adding rest of eggs one at a time, beating until each egg is absorbed.
Using a pastry bag, two spoons, or I used my cookie press, pipe onto parchment covered baking sheets, with enough room between as they will double in size when baked.
Bake at 425 for 20 minutes, until browned and puffed. Remove from oven, cut a slit in side to let the steam out, then return to oven, door ajar and oven turned OFF for 10 minutes.
Remove from oven and cool completely before filling.

Cool completely before storing, unfilled in an airtight container at room temperature, or in freezer. You can recrisp for a few minutes in very warm oven, but cool completely before filling.

Buttercream filling
1/2 lb powdered sugar
1/4 c milk
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup shortening (I used my own home rendered lard)
1 stick butter, sliced

In mixer bowl on low, mix powdered sugar, milk, salt and vanilla until smooth. On high, add butter, on piece at a time until smooth, then add lard or shortening and whip on highest speed until volume increases by 50%.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: