Sunday, May 29, 2011

Homemade Sherbet

In the quest to help my husband, and myself, be just a little healthier, I decided to make my own sherbet. My husband loves ice cream, but it just makes him miserable when he eats it because, well, he makes a pig of himself. I also believe because its so full of sugar and fat, plus he heaps Cool whip and toppings on it, its no wonder he feels bad!
So here is my offering of a non-fat orange sherbet. It does use a jello packet, but I can live with it. At least when eats this, he doesn't keep ME up all night!

I made this in my Rival ice cream maker. Its small, its cheap, but we don't need a workhorse for this.

2 c skim milk
1 can fat free condensed milk, or fat free half and half
6 oz box of Orange jello
6 oz can of orange juice concentrate
3/4 c sugar
1/4 tsp salt

Dissolve jello in 1 c boiling water. Add sugar and salt.

Mix in can of orange juice concentrate.

Add milks, mix well. Follow the instructions for making ice cream or sherbet in your appliance.

I plan to try Lime sherbet next time!

No comments: