Monday, May 16, 2011

Growing Potatoes in a Reusable Shopping Bag

I was chatting with my friend Amy awhile back, and she expressed a curiosity about growing potatoes in a grow bag. Of course, curiosity is contagious so I had to do a little research of my own. What I found out was that potato grow bags were a little pricey, to me anyway. So I researched a little more. Didn't want to use garbage bags or trash cans or tires. Then I realized that I could use landscaping cloth and sew up a few, but I didn't need to buy as much as was in the package, not for an experiment. If I spent that much I might as well buy the grow bag! So I hit on maybe using my reusable HyVee grocery bag, its black and approximately the same dimensions, just square not round, but its porous! And only cost $.99!
So, off to Earl May garden store, picked up 6 seed potatoes, on sale.
Folded down the sides at least 4 inches, filled with soil, and planted 7 "eyes" of my potatoes.
Covered them with 3" of soil, and watered thoroughly.
We'll see how this goes, I planted so many in each bag so in case a few questionable "eyes" don't open.
When the plants are 8" tall, I will add more soil, then add more again when there's another 8" of growth.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

7 comments:

Carol said...

Can't wait to hear how your "tators" do? I just might have to have my own experiment.

Jenn Erickson said...

What a brilliant idea! I can't wait to see how your experiment turns out. It's something I'd love to try here at home with my girls.

So glad I saw your link featured over at Premeditated Leftovers!

Best,
Jenn/Rook No. 17

The 21st Century Housewife© said...

This is such a good idea! There is absolutely nothing like fresh homegrown potatoes!

Merry said...

So far so good, they've grown enough to add more dirt, I think this just might work!

Susan Ernst said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan Ernst said...

Hi Merry, how did growing the potatoes in these bags work out? I was planning to grow mine in black plastic garbage bags but the ones I bought are so flimsy and really will be unattractive in the garden. I like your idea. Were the bags large enough and did they drain well?
Thanks, Susan
susanernst.blogspot.com

Merry said...

My potatoes grew in spite of my severe neglect! I kept forgetting to water them, and I got little potatoes anyway, which was kind of amazing. Drainage was not a problem, the only issue was that wherever you put the grocery bag, you may not be able to move them, as the summer progressed, the bag did break down around the top, but where the dirt was, held up very well.