Sunday, May 29, 2011

Easiest Jam in the world....

I had alot of rhubarb to use up, and my husband can only eat so many crisps and pies, so I decided to try this easy easy jam recipe, using, again, jello.  I was pleasantly surprised!  It turned out great.  Of course, I made a few changes, like adding fresh strawberries, and raspberries, but I have to make it my own.
 
Rhubarb Strawberry Jam
 
5 c chopped fresh rhubarb
1 c fresh strawberries
3 c white sugar
1 3oz box of strawberry jello
 
In a large non reeactive pot or bowl, stir together rhubarb and sugar.  Cover and let sit overnight.
 
Bring the rhubarb sugar mixture, and strawberries to a boil over medium heat.  Boil stirring constantly, for 12 minutes on low heat.  Remove from heat, and stir in dry jello packet.  Transfer to sterile jars and refrigerate.
 
This recipe is very forgiving, I really don't think you can mess this up, so give it a try!!

5 comments:

Carol said...

Sounds yummy! I planted rhubarb last year so it will be next year before I can harvest anything. Can't wait to try this one out though :)

Kristina said...

Could you swap out the jello and use MaryJane's ChillOver Powder?

Merry said...

Thanks Carol!

Kristina, I've never used Mary Janes Chillover, but if it can be added to hot ingredients, then yes, you probably can substitute it. Now curiosity is going to make me order some to find out! I just needed an excuse!

Miriam said...

No jelly is better than the homemade kind! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters
P.S. Following you now!

The 21st Century Housewife© said...

I love the combination of strawberries and rhubarb! Thank you for sharing this easy and delicious recipe with Feed Me Tweet Me Follow Me Home!