Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Dry Pantry Mixes

I got started on this preparedness kick, probably because I started following Preparedness 365. Check her out, she takes a common sense approach, in my opinion. But, even if you aren't a prepper or doomer, so to speak, these dry pantry mixes are timesavers, and healthy alternatives to box and package mixes.

My very favorites is of course, the cake mix, a big hit with the husband. Our next favorite has turned out to be the homemade shake and bakish coating mix. So far I have used it with chicken and porkchops and both have been fantastic! (recipe below)

Another good one was the Sloppy Joe Mix.

After knitting with my friends last week, I wanted something fast and warm, so I fixed up a mug of my home made cream soup base, it was good, I added some dried mushrooms to the water and soup mixture while it was heating. It wasn't terribly thick, but it was satisfying and soothing. (recipe below)

A pantry mix I began making and using more frequently, since I found out the store bought I used to use contained MSG, is a lentil rice pilaf. I have used this with chicken and pork, and various vegetables too, it makes an easy and satisfying skillet dinner. (recipe below)

As with any recipe I post, personalize it and make it your own. Add, take away or sub ingredients to your liking.


Homemade Shake and Bakish Coating Mix


4 c flour
4 c finely crushed saltines (I used fat free saltines
1/4 c salt
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp pepper
3 tbsp paprika
2 tsp italian seasoning
1/4 c canola oil

Mix all dry ingredients, then drizzle oil in, and incorporate until well distributed fine particles. Store in refrigerator in an airtight container.

To Use:

Dip chicken, pork or fish into milk, water, or beaten egg, then dredge completely in 1/2 to 1 cup of mix.
Place on baking sheet, I drizzle with a tiny bit of oil, but you can omit if you like.
Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes for boneless, and 1 hour for bone in.
Internal temp for chicken should be 160.

Dry Cream Soup Base
2 c instant milk
3/4 c cornstarch
1/4 c chicken bouillon ( I used an msg/sodium free product)
2 tbsp dry onion flakes
1 tsp dry basil
1tsp dry thyme
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp or less of salt (or to your preference)

Mix well, store in air tight container.

To Use:
1/3 c mix stirred into 1 c of water. Adjust water or mix to your preference.

Rice Lentil Pilaf

1 1/3 c each of long grain rice, lentils and orzo pasta
5 tsp chicken bouillon (again, I used 5 packets of the msg/sodium free product)
2 tsp salt
2 tsp italian seasoning
1 tbsp dehydrated onion
1 tbsp dehydrated garlic
1 tsp pepper

Mix well, store in air tight container.

To Use:

4-5 pieces of chicken or pork
1 c pilaf mix
2 1/4 water
2 tbsp oil
1 c of frozen peas,or fresh broccoli, or asparagus pieces.

Brown meat pieces in oil in skillet. Brown til each side has good color, remove to plate. Lower heat and add pilaf mix. Stir and heat for a few minutes, then add water. Bring to boil, lower heat to simmer. Add the meat and accumulated juices back into skillet. Simmer, covered for 25 minutes, until lentils are cooked and tender. remove cover, add vegetables, replace lid and turn off heat. Let sit for 10 minutes.

I did test a Hamburgerish Helper mix, but I need to tweak that recipe. Either its not a very good recipe, or I dont know what hamburger helper should taste like. Personally, i think the sloppy joe mix would be awesome for hamburger helper.

No comments: