Friday, April 29, 2011

Homemade Cake Mix

Somehow, I came across some information on making your own cake mix, as opposed to buying a box mix. This appeals to me because I can control what's in it, and what is NOT in it.
I had everything in my pantry necessary to make this which is always a plus, and I also decided to come up with a cake flavor enhancer.
I sifted the flour and cornstarch together twice, blended the butter with some of the flour mixture, then blended the rest of the ingredients together. Make sure you mix well, as the sugar is heavy and tends to fall to the bottom.
I took 4 1/2 cups out to make my test cake, and divided the rest into two - 1 quart ziplock bags, writing the additional ingredient list right on the bag.
This will keep 1 month in the refrigerator or 3 months in the freezer.
In a large bowl, I put my cake mix, eggs, oil, skim milk, and cake flavor enhancer. Mixed it just like I would a box mix, and poured it into a greased Longaberger bundt pan. Each mix should make two - 8" cake pans, or one - 9 x 13. Baked it for 45 minutes.
How did it taste? Like a light pound cake. It was good, moist, but holey, I think I mixed it too much!
What would I change or adjust the next time I make a big batch? I would use cake flour, instead of all purpose and cornstarch, and when blending the butter and flour, add a vanilla bean, just the seeds scraped from the inside.
I did like my flavor enhancer, which was basically lemon extract, homemade vanilla extract and butter flavor. Gave it a warm and creamy flavor.
I think I will have a piece of this cake with some strawberries!
Is this cheaper than buying a box mix? No. Is it healthier than a box mix? Yes, no additives, no long chemical names. If you like organic, you could use all organic ingredients.

Big Batch Cake Mix
(makes 3)

6 1/2 c flour (or use 7 1/2 c cake flour and skip the cornstarch)
1 c cornstarch
4 1/2 c sugar
4 tbsp baking powder
5 tbsp meringue powder
3/4 c cold butter
1 tbsp salt
Process butter with 2 c flour until very fine. Sift together rest of ingredients 2 times. divide into three 4 1/2 c portions. On the ziplock write the additional ingredients:
3 eggs
1/2 c oil
1 c milk or water
2 tsp vanilla or flavor enhancer.
35-45 minutes @ 350

To make cake:
Put cake mix and additional ingredients into a big bowl.
Mix on low until just blended, then on high 2 minutes. Pour into greased cake pans. (bundt or 9 x 13 or two 8" round pans)
Bake 35 to 45 minutes at 350 degrees, until toothpick comes out clean.
Cool 15 minutes, then tip out of pans onto plate and cool on rack.
Cool completely before frosting or glazing.

Cake Flavor Enhancer
Butter flavor
Lemon extract
Vanilla extract

Start with 1 tsp each, and add more of each, sniffing after each addition, until it smells pleasing to you. You can use orange instead of lemon, tweak and change it to suit you.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

2 comments:

Alea Milham said...

This is a wonderful idea! As convenient as a cake mix, but so much tastier as well as frugal.

I discovered you on Feed me, Follow me, Tweet Me and am your latest follower.

The 21st Century Housewife© said...

What a wonderful thing to have on hand - so much nicer than commercial cake mixes! Thank you for sharing your homemade cake mix with Feed Me Tweet Me Follow Me Home Friday blog hop. I've followed your blog, and hop you will come by and join in with the blog hop again tomorrow.