Friday, April 8, 2011

Healthi-er banana muffins?

Maybe. Soooo, I decided to re-make my mother's wonderful but not particularly wholesome banana bread.
Here's the funny part, in my quest to make it better, I completely forgot to add sweetener :(, of any kind! So, the only sweetness is from the banana, and it actually tastes fine. But then I realized you could drizzle honey on it and control your own sweetness. I love it when I can redeem a baking mistake! This recipe will make 12 jumbo, or probably 24 regular, so freeze a batch to eat all week. I also used a homemade dough enhancer mix, and I will give that recipe too. Dough enhancer will help the rise and texture, and also the moistness. I like to use it when baking wheat bread especially, gives you light fluffy loaves that keep well.

Banana Muffins

1 c flax seed meal
1 c oat flour
1/4 c flour
2 tbsp dough enhancer
3/4 c canola oil
4 eggs
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
5 very ripe mashed bananas
2 tsp vanilla extract

Mix all dry ingredients, make a well in the center and add eggs, oil and mashed bananas. Lightly mix these wet ingredients together in the well, then start stirring in the dry. Mix just until no dry lumps remain.
Use muffin papers or lightly spray or oil muffin tin.
Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full and bake about 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees. Eat them drizzled with honey, or make a cream cheese frosting!

Dough enhancer

1 c soy lecithin granules (Bobs Red Mill)
1 c vital wheat gluten
1 c potato starch flour
1/2 c non-fat dry milk powder
2 tbsp citric acid (fruit fresh)
1 tbsp ground ginger (you won't taste it, helps the yeast)

Mix well then store in a quart mason jar with clean tight fitting lid, in the refrigerator. Use as directed in baked goods, or as a rule of thumb, about 1 tbsp per cup of flour. This works best in recipes that use whole grain flours, not really necessary for all white flour recipes, but then I might only use a teaspoon per cup of flour for those recipes.

This post is linked to Lets Do Brunch!
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

1 comment:

The 21st Century Housewife© said...

These sound lovely, so healthy and delicious. The dough enhancer recipe sounds wonderful too. Thank you for sharing another great post with Let's Do Brunch. Hope to see you there again later today!