Saturday, August 7, 2010

Zipping Corn

I don't know about the rest of you, but here in central iowa, the corn is really growing! We have a plethora of corn! Having ordered quite a bit from my Coop, I decided to freeze it.

I remember helping my mom can corn when I was a kid, corn boiling in the big canning pot, that is what summer smells like to me, cooking corn!

I shucked, de-silked and blanched them for about 4 minutes in boiling water. My friend Carolyn reminded me of a trick I had read about, to make zipping the kernals off the cob easier. Take your angel food cake pan, pop that cob in the center, then start cutting down with a sharp knife. I put a cloth on the edge because I kept hitting my hand, but wow! I was able to zip and freeze several quarts this afternoon while watching TV! Well, I was really just listening to it, I had to keep my eyes on my cobs! My corn had been in my refrigerator for a while, so the sugars had turned to starch mostly, but I am looking forward to zipping some fresh corn I just ordered from the coop.
Spread a kitchen towel underneath your pan, and be aware the corn will spit its juice everywhere, on your cell phone and especially your glasses!
Happy Corn Season!

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: