Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Homemade Cottage Cheese Redux

So, although the quick way to make cottage cheese is one way to do it, I wanted to try the longer version to see if it was better. It was.

Put one gallon of skim milk in your crock pot, mix in 1 cup buttermilk. Cover and let sit for 12 to 20 hours until milk clabbers. Cut curds into large cubes and heat on low until whey separates from the curds and the curds firm up. Drain in a tea towel lined colander and rinse with cold water. Squeeze out water, place in container and salt. Add cream and enjoy!

This is the link to the directions I used.
http://www.essortment.com/all/makecottageche_rloh.htm
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

2 comments:

Denise said...

have you tried this with whole milk?

kakwik said...

Actually I was wondering the same as Denise!

And I'm thinking seriously of trying this since the reason why I don't really like cottage cheese is the saltiness.