Monday, August 30, 2010

babka.jpg

I recently purchased the book A Blessing of Bread by Maggie Glezer. This is a fantastic book about challah, and how bread is used in the Jewish life all over the world. I'm not Jewish but I loved this book.
I learned more about how to make bread with this book than all the bread books I have read put together. Also, there are many usable recipes, unlike a lot of cookbooks, that look good at first, until you get them home and really read them, only to realize that the few recipes you saw skimming through are truly the only ones you liked.
So I made chocolate cinnamon babka using this books recipe. It turned out beautifully! I didn't have to fine tune or change the instructions, I could make this exactly as written. A rare occurrence let me tell you.
Maggie has obviously done her research and has done it well. I won't give you the recipe for the babka, I want you to either check out this book from your library or buy it. I believe this book has been titled accurately, you will feel blessed when you read it.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

1 comment:

Carol............. said...

Thanks for posting the recipes...I'm going to try the cottage cheese (never made it before) and I have lots of vegetables to pickle that would do well in that recipe.