Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Egg Obsession

Ask anyone that knows me well, and they will tell you that I periodically go on what I call a Quest for Knowledge. They simply call it Obsessing.
Well, my latest quest is all things eggs. Egg coddlers, cups and spoons. I purchased a few egg coddlers, oops, now I have a collection! Found out I already owned an antique egg spoon. I only have one egg cup, its all I could find at the time. I used it for the first time today and realized, the dorky butterfly on it is a handle so I don't burn my fingers while digging for eggy goodness!
I am able to purchase the most incredibly flavorful eggs from my local Co-Op (coop, get it?) and have been having the most enjoyable breakfasts lately.
EBay seems to be a great place to find coddlers and cups, but I plan to make a trip to my local antique barn to look for more.

Here are some instructions and recipes for to use with your coddlers and cups.

Soft Boiled Egg
Get a small saucepan of water boiling, make sure water completely covers egg. While water is boiling carefully lower eggs with a spoon into the water. Cover, turn off heat and let sit 3 to 5 minutes.
If you find your egg softer than you would like, I just pop it in the microwave for a few seconds. I like mine med hard, just when the yolk gives in and solidifies.

Coddled eggs

1 or 2 eggs
Shaved Ham
Shredded cheese
Chopped parsley and chives

Spray the inside of your coddler with Pam or butter it.
Crack one or two eggs carefully into it, depending on the size of your coddler. Don't use jumbo eggs, it wont leave room for anything else!
Sprinkle a little salt and pepper or I use Sylvias Soulful Seasoning.
Top that with some shaved ham, shredded cheese and chopped parsley and chives. Gently screw on the lid, but keep it loose.
Lower the coddler gently into a pan of simmering water that comes 3/4 of the way up the coddler.
Two eggs will take at least 10 minutes, depending how hard you want the yolks. One egg may only take 6 minutes, depending on how hard you like your yolk.
I remove the lid to check on the eggs, remember the coddler holds heat, so they will continue cooking for a bit after you remove them from the water.
Remove your coddler from the water, using a fork through the metal loop on the lid.
Let sit for a bit while you make and butter your toast.
Gently unscrew the lid, plunge in your spoon, take a dip with your toast 'soldier' and enjoy, yum!


Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

1 comment:

Heirlooms by Ashton House said...

What a neat collection, Merry! Thanks for the tips on preparing soft boiled and coddled eggs. Kimber