Sunday, June 20, 2010

Jam-it!

What a weekend so far! I picked up some lovely raspberries at the Coop this week and decide to make some jam. The berries were riper than I realized, and this jam is very soft set, its a little set, but I'm afraid if I re-batch it, it will be gummy or hard. Personally I like a soft spread, so I'm not gonna mess with it. I did test it on my bagel and I am pleased with the flavor.
The very Merry berry came about because I had a cup each of blueberries, strawberries, mulberries, blackberries and raspberries, and I didn't want to waste them, so I combined them and made this all berry jam. Now it did not set, so I re-batched it, its fine now. Tested that on my bagel today, its good. All the berry flavors mellowed into one flavorful jam!
I used green and yellow bell, a red pimento, and red pepper flakes for the hot pepper jelly, its very good! I may make that one again. The jalapeno contains jalapeno and green bell, its mild but does have that nice green chile flavor. I wanted to use only one drop of green color, but two drops slipped out so its greener than I anticipated, but its mellowed now that it jelled. The recipe called for two packs of pectin, so it is not a soft spread at all!
I tested the pepper jellies with cream cheese and crackers, I must say, very very tasty, it was hard to stop eating them!
I usually give these away to family and friends, I hope they like them!
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: