Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Herbal Tea Jellies

Another experiment in jelly making was tea jelly. This was easy and rewarding and plus used up those herb tea bags I seem to collect.

The first tea was a Davidsons Chamomile. I steeped 12 tea bags in about 2 cups of water, set it in the sun for about 2 1/2 hours. Combined with lemon juice this jelly was tasty! I was a bit surprised, I didn't think it would be so yummy and it turned a deep orange. The second tea was a Crabtree and Evelyn. Orchard herb tea, I know it contained rosehips, but not sure what else. This turned a deep plum color and was delicious also.

I think I might try this with some of those limited edition seasonal teas from Celestial Seasonings, what a fun holiday gift!

Herb Tea Jelly

2 c hot water
12 tea bags
1/4 c fresh lemon juice
3 c sugar
3 oz liquid pectin

Steep tea bags in 2 c water for about 2 1/2 hours, in the sun if possible.
Take out bags and combine tea with juice and sugar. Bring to rolling boil and boil for 2 minutes. Take off heat and stir in pectin. Bring back to boil and boil for 1 minute. Take off heat, skim foam and pour into jars. Seal and process for 20 minutes.


Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

2 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Hi, I am a new farmgirl sister, and found you from there. Your herb jellys are beautiful! I need to do sugar free, I may try this with agave and see what happens, I have alot of lemon balm right now Kathy

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, I am going to try your recipe today using my lemon balm, and experiment with less sugar and no sugar pectin-have never tried herb jellys before-sounds like fun