Thursday, May 13, 2010

Lumpia

One thing I have learned, having lived on both coasts, is that there are many lumpia recipes, as there are hundreds of pancit and adobo, its all about how your family makes them. My mothers recipe is different from mine, she uses a cooked filling with carrots and a little cabbage. I make them similar to my Aunt Terry, except mine are small like my moms. See? Mine is even different from my family's!
My husband asked me to make some lumpia to take to work. Since I make my own wrappers, it can be a labor intensive project, but its worth it as they ate every single one!

The filling is very basic, you can add grated garlic, ginger and maybe even a little patis (fish sauce). Or add grated carrots and cabbage like my mom. Just make sure its not a dripping wet filling or one that gives out too much moisture.

The filling I use is:

1 lb ground beef,
1 small bunch green onions, chopped
Soy sauce
Pepper
Pinch salt

Mix the above together, add enough soy to moisten, or more or less to taste.

The wrapper: the easiest thing is to use wonton wrappers, or if you want, make your own.

Wrapper:
1 c flour
1 c water
Pinch salt

Mix together very well until very smooth. Heat a nonstick skillet on medium, wipe with oiled paper towel.

Technique: you can pour a small amount of batter in pan, spread thin with back of spoon, about 4 inches, cook until edges curl, lift off and place on cornstarch dusted wax paper.
Or, using a wide pastry brush, brush a square about 4 x 4 or so, cook until edges curl, do not brown. Don't pile on top of each other as they will stick. I layer them on wax paper dusted with cornstarch.

Rolling: place about scant teasoon of filling in about 1 1/2 - 2 inch long log along one edge, fold sides in, then roll, moisten edge with water, then complete roll.

You can freeze these uncooked, just layer rolls between wax paper.

Fry in hot peanut oil until browned.

Serve with sweet and sour dipping sauce.

I would have posted a picture, but they are all gone!
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: