Friday, May 14, 2010

Better Eating

So while I achieved my goal of lowering my trigs and blood sugar, I also succeeded in raising my cholesterol and my ldl's.
I did some more reading about lowering cholesterol, and eating the right foods, and this time it clicked. This isn't the first time I've embarked on this journey, but for some reason the information clicked this time.
Instead of cutting out all fats, I eat every day, the good fats. A handful of almonds - about a quarter cup, 1/3 of an avocado, and I use olive oil in place of butter and as my salad dressing. I have dramatically decreased my red meat consumption, increased my fish portions per week, and eat oatmeal or a high fiber cereal with a banana every day.
What's interesting, I have been eating a salad for supper every day, I just change what I call the goodie on it each night. Some nights I will have a piece of steamed salmon, tonight I had avocado and pinto beans, oh that was good! Tomorrow I will try some "pretend" crabmeat in my salad, hmm, that might be good with avocado too!
We have stopped eating out, and put that money toward buying healthier food. Its funny but I look forward to meal time, salads are way easy to make, and low cholesterol cooking keeps your kitchen pretty clean!
Oh, and I have lost 4 lbs, that's pretty good incentive :)
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

1 comment:

Homemade Quilts by Granny said...

This is what I need to learn to do stop eating out and cook healthy. Trish