Friday, February 19, 2010

Breakfast sausage

Nothing beats fresh sausage, not the frozen since God was a boy stuff you buy, but fresh homemade sausage made with fresh ground sausage and in my recipe, I add bacon! Being a member of my local coop gives me the opportunity to use fresh, chemical and hormone free local meat, it does make a difference, although, just making this from scratch with grocery store meats will also let you taste the difference. I make up patties and freeze the prior to cooking so I can cook as much as I need. If you want this spicier, add 1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper. You will also notice how much leaner this is than commercially made sausage, so don't overcook!

Breakfast Sausage

3 lbs ground pork

1 lbs smoked bacon - a nice fatty bacon is perfect

2 tsp kosher salt

1 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper

2 tsp ground sage

2 tsp thyme

1/2 tsp rosemary

1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 red pepper
flakes

Cut bacon into 2" chunks and process in food processor until finely chopped. Mix together with ground sausage and rest of ingredients. Form into patties and fry, taking care not to overcook.

*FREEZING form into patties and place on wax covered baking sheet sides NOT touching until frozen firm, about 3-4 hours. Store in airtight container.

No comments: